I love lemon flavoured desserts so I experimented around with a basic cupcake recipe lead to create this yummy recipe (cupcakes pictured in the foreground).
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
2 cups butter
3 cups icing sugar
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups S.R flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons milk powder
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (320F). In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add 1 cup butter and the caster sugar, then mix until light and fluffy.
2. Sift the flour and milk powder, about eight times (sifting it multiple times means a softer and fluffier cake). Add the flour to the egg mixture, along with the milk and vanilla essence. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, until light and creamy.
3. Fold into the mixture the zest from one the lemons and the juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons.
4. Divide the mixture into cupcake papers, placed in cupcake/muffin trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and firm to touch. Remove from tray after a few minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
1. Beat together the remaining butter and icing sugar. Fold into the mixture the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Mix until well combined. Add more juice or sugar, to taste and until you reach the desired consistency.
2. Apply the icing to the (cooled) cupcakes using the back of the spoon.
3. Thinly slice the remaining 1/2 of the lemon and cut into quarter slices to place on each cupcake as garnish.